I did a little digging and it turns out there are ton of great classics and other great ebooks that you really can download for free. And this isn’t just a free chapter, these are completely free ebooks available for the taking.
So for those of you still using Windows 3.1 and trying to figure out how to use a mouse, an eBook is typically a PDF file that can be downloaded to your computer. Once downloaded, you can either read it on the screen or print it off for your own reading pleasure. Or you can use Amazon’s Kindle to take it with you if you are into that kind of thing.
Oh and just FYI, I haven’t read all these books and don’t have any recommendations. I just know that many of these are highly-regarded classics.
- The Bible, Old and New Testaments, King James Version
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Roget’s Thesaurus – Peter Mark Roget
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austin
- Les Misérables – Victor Hugo
- Ulysses by James Joyce
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- How to Speak and Write Correctly – Joseph Devlin
- The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci – Leonardo da Vinci
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Marvelous Land Of Oz – L. Frank Baum
- War and Peace – graf Leo Tolstoy
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas père
- A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
- Walden – Henry David Thoreau
- Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare
These were some of the stand-outs that I saw. But there are hundreds or thousands more where these came from. Gutenberg.org really is a fantastic place to find free ebooks. I believe everything listed there is public domain, so if you are looking for something written last year, you will probably have to look elsewhere. I did spend a good chunk of time trying to find other good sites that allowed you to download ebooks for free, but that didn’t work out too well. There are tons of “free ebook” sites, but I found most of them to be very annoying – difficult to navigate and confusing (or impossible) to actually download the ebooks! So if you know of any good ones please share in the comments…