I got a flier in the mail the other day that caught my eye. The days of free toasters are over. National City Bank is offering a $150 gift card to new customers who open a free checking account. I am happy with my credit union and ING Direct, but if I weren’t I would probably jump on this offer.
What you have to actually do to get the $150 gift card
Like any good skeptic, I read the fine print to see what if any catches were hidden. There are 2 major hoops to jump through to prevent people from just opening accounts to make $150…
- You have to set up direct deposit. They require that you direct deposit your paycheck (at least $250) within 60 days of opening the account.
- You have to use the debit card 10 times. This has to be done within 60 days as well.
That seems to be it. So, if you are looking to switch banks it wouldn’t be a big deal at all.
Details about the National City Free Checking account
According to the flier I received these are the perks of the Free Checking
- Free use of ATMs. National City doesn’t charge for using other banks ATMs (their Elite Checking actually pays back fees that other banks charge you)
- Free unlimited personal checks.
- No minimum balance required.
- Free online banking and bill pay.
Other details about the promotion…
- As far as I know this is a national campaign and is open to everyone.
- The offer ends 12/31/08
Check this out if you are looking for the highest bank rates on savings accounts.